Ok.. I know you just read the title – and were grossed out. I was when I first saw it too. (I found this in a magazine – but have forgotten which one – SORRY! If you know, please tell me. I wrote the recipe down on scrap paper but don’t get the magazine at home.) Come on! You HAVE to try this recipe. Let’s be honest – hot food is not my deal either (well… not really any way.) And I know *hot* is totally relative – but this really isn’t spicy – just sweet with a little teeny kick (the size of the kick depends on the type of pepper you add to the mix. Start with cayenne the first time around -then adjust as you keep going.) Yes, you will want more.
Just to make it more intriguing – I’ve got photos for you!
- 8 c. popped corn (no butter/oil, etc)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp. chili powder (or chipotle, cayenne, etc)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 300F.
- Pop your corn
- Put all other ingredients (syrup, salt, pepper, butter) into small saucepan
- Stir saucepan ingredients together well.
- Slowly simmer/low rolling boil saucepan ingredients without stirring for TWO MINUTES.
- Pour maple syrup mixture over popped corn, stirring completely in to popcorn:
- Put popcorn mixture into jelly roll pan and pop into the oven for 15 minutes (at 300F)
- Remove from oven. Allow to cool completely.
- Break apart (if needed) by tapping with a wooden spoon, and pour into large bowl.