Sometimes you just have to satisfy a craving… and empty the fridge of the last three apples.
I didn’t really feel like digging out a recipe… I was too focused on the final product! So, I rather made it up as i went along. Since I didn’t measure, I am guessing at each of these quantities, but the ratio is right. =)
Here’s the recipe:
- 3-4 Braeburn (or similar) apples, peeled, sliced into 1/4″ thick slices
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2-3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons to 1/4 c. white sugar or turbinado sugar (to taste)
- 2 Tablespoons to 1/4 c. brown sugar (to taste)
- 2 Tablespoons (more or less) GF Flour mix – depending on juiciness of the apples
- 6 Tablespoons butter, slightly softened
- 1/3 c. GF quick oats, roughly ground almonds & walnuts, or quinoa flakes
- 1/4 c. GF Flour mix
- 2-3 Tablespoons white sugar (to taste)
- 1-2 Tablespoons brown sugar (to taste)
- optional: ground cinnamon (1 tsp) and freshly ground nutmeg (1 tsp)
- Preheat oven to 375*F.
- Peel and slice apples into thin slices (1/4″).
- Put into a medium bowl and sprinkle with lemon juice. Mix.
- Add sugars, flour and cinnamon.
- Mix together very well.
- Pour into medium (for thin) or small (for deep) baking dish.
- Put softened butter into the same bowl where you mixed the apples.
- Add oats (or other option), flour and sugars and “squish” together well until crumbly.
- Pour and crumble over apples in baking dish evenly.
- Bake for 23-30 minutes.
Cool slightly before serving (5-10 minutes).
Serve over all natural GF vanilla ice cream.