Bette Hagman has passed away.

Just yesterday I received word that that Bette was ill. See here for that post.

Sadly today the news was worse.

Below is the most recent message from Cynthia Kupper from GIG:

Dear Friends,

It is with great sadness that I inform you that Bette Hagman passed away quietly this afternoon at home. I took her nearly a hundred good wishes messages yesterday. She was pleased to get them and she and the caregiver were reading them before I left. They brought smiles and tears to her. They were exactly what she needed. Any messages that continue to come in will be given to her daughter.

Thank you all for your kindness and support for Bette. I know both she and her daughter appreciated it very much. Bette inspired and helped more people than she will ever know. We will miss her.

At this time, we do not have further information.

Cynthia Kupper, RD, CD
Executive Director
Gluten Intolerance Group of North America
31214 124th Avenue SE
Auburn, WA 98092-3667
Phone: 253-833-6655, Fax: 253-833-6675
…..

If you have you have not yet had the chance to send along your thanks for her pioneering efforts in gluten free baking and living, I’m sure her family would be happy to receive them. You can send them to Cynthia and GIG at the above address for delivery.

All of my deepest sympathies go out to Bette’s family and friends.

10 comments on “Bette Hagman has passed away.
  1. Lauren says:

I am so sad. She was a great woman and the founding maiden of gluten-free cooking. She will be missed.

2. Doris says:

I was very saddened to hear of Ms Hagman’s death. My son has been on the GFCF diet for 9 yrs. Bette Hagman’s cookbooks were the ONLY cookbooks available back then. She gave me the information I needed to feed my son and help him heal and grow.
    My mom died earlier this year. I’d like to imagine the two of them side by side elbow deep in dough ….

Thank you Bette ….

3. Seamaiden says:

This really is a sad day..

I thought you might like to know that I am having a special event at my blog honoring Bette Hagman. I’m asking people to bake something from a Bette Hagman recipe and then take a photo with the baked item and flowers, and then post it on their blog or email it to me. You can find out more at my blog, but I’m hoping that many people will participate. :)

-sea of the Book of Yum

4. Teresa says:

It is so sad. I just got her baking book because my daughter is sensitive to gluten and dairy. I was just looking her up to see if she has a website or not. My deepest sympathy to her family. Teresa

5. Robin says:

I got “The Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread” recently and wanted to look up more information on Bette Hagman. I found this site and that she is gone which made me sad. But she will continue to help and influence the world through her amazing books. R.I.P. Bette.

6. FRED says:

BETTE HAGMAN DIED? HOW CAN THIS BE?? ANGELS NEVER DIE. LOVE TO HER FAMILY AND FRIENDS.

7. I am so very sorry to hear of this. I have been relying on Bette’s books for years, to help me navigate the tricky bits of dealing with my husband and son’s wheat intolerances. Each time I use one of Bette’s recipes, I say a little prayer of thanksgiving that this creative, generous soul cared enough to share her knowledge with the rest of us. Thank you Bette. May you rest in peace.

8. faith lindo says:

my condolences to the family of Bette. I was recently introduced to Bette’s gluten free recipes. I came to this site to look up some gluten free recipe to make muffins and came across this message that Bette is no longer with us. It’s always sad when great souls leave us. Her poineering work will live on forever with us. Thank you Bette for your wonderful deeds on earth.

In love & light
    faith

9. Deblet says:

I am so sorry about the passing of this lovely woman. I have only heard about her today. My daughter is autistic and like many children like her she has an intolerance to wheat. I have just realised, for myself, that after months of abdominal pain,and years of uncomfortable bloating, that it is due to wheat intolerance. My other daughter is wheat and milk intolerant, but succumbs to an occasional Pizza and suffers for days.

This lady will be my saviour and I will buy everything she has ever written. Thank you so much to Bette. May she rest in peace, and thanks to her.

1 Pings/Trackbacks for "Bette Hagman has passed away."
  1. […] 21st, 2007 by Kate This note was received from Cynthia Kupper (GIG) from Bette Hagman’s daughter.  I wanted to pass on her note as well as remind all of you to take part in […]