I put my hand in the cupboard seeking the cupcake/muffin tin but I emerge with the mini-muffin tin. Ah – perfect bites for a four-year-old nephew, right? I’m doing it!
Months ago (February?), I found a gluten-free yellow cake recipe on Allrecipes.com that tasted great. The original recipe calls for mayonnaise, which isn’t the most heart-healthy, but does add great moisture. Tonight I made this recipe with a couple twists, one of which was replacing the mayo called for with vanilla low-fat yogurt. Why vanilla and not plain? Because the recipe already called for vanilla flavoring (both frosting and cake) and… well.. I have another use in mind for the plain yogurt in my fridge. =D
I saw a filling recipe on delphiforums like the one used for Hostess cakes. Hmm. I have never tried to fill a cupcake before. Tonight was the night. It was MUCH easier than I imagined. Using a frosting tip/bag, I just inserted a small tip into the bottom of the muffin and gave it a little squeeze. It easily inserted a little frosting. No worries. I taste-tested the fillings prior to posting…. a couple times. LOL. This little filling will be a nice little surprise for my sweet nephews too.
Here’s the cake recipe:
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons GF Flour mix (mine has xanthan gum in it)
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 cup low fat, vanilla yogurt
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Cream together the sugar, yogurt and eggs.
- Put all dry ingredients together (flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder) in a bowl and whisk together.
- Add flour and milk/extracts to creamed sugar mixture and beat on medium for 4 minutes.
- Bake at 350F – 12 minutes for mini-muffin pans, 20 minutes for regular cupcake muffins.
1/3 c. shortening
2 1/2 cups + powdered sugar
3 Tablespoons evaporated milk
1/2 teaspoon each of the following extracts: vanilla, orange, lemon
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Beat together all ingredients on medium. (It’s important to use all of the extract flavorings!)
- Add more powder sugar until you reach a fluffy consistency. (Or the consistency you prefer)
It’s easy to insert the filling (see instructions above). Top the muffins easily too by dipping them quickly into the frosting bowl. =) Sprinkle with candies as desired.