GF: Molasses Bread!

Oh my! I cannot believe that I made it! I have craved this dense bread for years. I really don’t even remember the first time I tasted Molasses Bread – but I do know this – I’m loving the fact that I made a gluten-free version tonight!

No, this bread is not your light and fluffy sandwich bread. It was not meant to be that. It is a dense breakfast bread. Perfect for dense sandwiches (personally, my favorite kind of BLT comes on this type of bread as I used to love the on rye bread) and best with eggs. While I haven’t toasted this one yet, what GF bread doesn’t toast well???

Tonight, while dead tired from a long day of meetings (and no work accomplished), I for some reason found myself in the kitchen mixing flour and trying to figure out a recipe from my head. I have honestly never made a bread recipe before. I’ve been diligent to follow the rules or read the directions. (Please see here for an explanation of my seven years of diligence, aka the bean flour-lava flow incident.) But I read something recently that stated that “gluten free breads/recipes are really forgiving – much more so that wheat bread recipes”. Huh. Well, heck, that was worth testing!

Maybe I have restrained myself too because of the expense of ingredients when you bake GF. But it’s time to let go of some of that, I think. Not that ingredients are miraculously cheaper than yesterday, but rather because it’s time I got my baking feet back under me. (I used to LOVE to bake breads, cakes, etc). I hope you will try this recipe out and let me know what you think. And, if you find a few gaps or think of ways to help improve this tasty loaf, please feel free to share a comment or send me a note. After all, if it weren’t for those who had gone before us on this gluten free path….

Gluten Free Molasses Bread
1 teaspoon sugar

WET INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup molasses
2 1/2 cups + 1/2 cup warm water
2 Tablespoons butter, melted
2 egg whites

1. In a small bowl, proof yeast with 1/2 cup warm water, 1 teaspoon sugar, and 2 1/2 teaspoons yeast. Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, blend together all dry ingredients. (I use a whisk to do this.)
  3. In the mixing bowl, mix together egg whites, molasses and 1 cup of warm water.
  4. Add proofed yeast (all liquid) to wet ingredients. Mix together well.
  5. Slowly add dry ingredients alternatively with remaining water. (May need to add more/less water, so please watch batter become a thick cookie dough/GF-Bread batter)
  6. Mix on high speed for 4 minutes.
  7. Lightly grease the inside of a bread pan or spritz with olive oil mister. (I use a misting bottle filled with olive oil.)
  8. Scrap dough into bread pan. Wet a rubber spatula and push the dough into the corners and smooth the top.
    (At this point if you would like to add decorative cuts into the top crust, lightly drag a knife across the top in the pattern you desire.)
  9. Cover with spritz/oiled plastic wrap lightly. Then top with a clean dish towel. Place in a warm corner of your counter to rest/rise for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350*F about 5 minutes before the end of the resting time.
  10. Bake at 350F for 30 minutes. Then take out and cover the top with tin foil (to avoid excess browning). Return to oven and bake for an additional 10 – 15 minutes or until the bread has reached an internal temperature of 140F.
  11. Allow to cool for a few minutes before turning out onto cutting board.
  12. Allow to cool additional time before slicing. (As long as you can stand it. LOL)

Enjoy!

22 comments on “GF: Molasses Bread!
  1. Seamaiden says:

Oh my! This looks AMAZING- and plenty light and fluffy to me! Awesome. I see some molasses bread in my future.
    -Sea

I don’t know if I’d describe this as light/fluffy! That’s for sure. It rather reminds me of these little “party rye” loaves of bread that they sell by the deli section. Makes GREAT appetizers…especially with a creamy spinach dip on top of a little toasted bread square. :) – Thanks for the compliment, Sea. I find your presence here to be an honor! :) Kate

2. michelle says:

Okay, so how sweet is the finished product?

Not very sweet at all.
    It’s molasses – but dark molasses and the recipe doesn’t call for much sugar at all.
    You can tell the difference mostly by color and density.
    It’s dense like those little party-loaves of rye bread. AND YUMMY! too!
    Hope that helps!
    Kate

3. Fern says:

Hi Kate,

This is too fun! Just this morning I was looking in my cupboard and saw the molasses and thought: “I wonder if there is a gf recipe out there somewhere?” And here it is!!!!

I love the wraps and I am looking forward to this recipe tooooooo.

Fern

Thanks for stopping by, Fern! I hope you like this recipe. I enjoyed the bread a lot and it was much easier than I thought it would be. =) -Kate

4. g/f salt says:

this bread definitly looks very good and yummy.
    and it wont be long untill it gets a trial run, for sure………………..trouble is i see so many good looking pics on this blog that i have to establish some kind of testing/baking order…….the future is looking better now!

LOL! I’m glad to hear that the future is looking brighter! It’s amazing what we GF-foodies can do when we stick together and share recipes! I hope you like it! -Kate

5. carrie says:

i love molasses! I grew up eating molasses dripping from homemade buttermilk biscuits! I can’t wait to try this bread!!

It tastes great, but I think it may have a few quirks to work out yet. However, that hasn’t stopped me from eating my share! LOL – Kate

6. leona says:

I just read your molasses bread receipe. I’m made gingerbread cookies with rice flour for a friend of mine who has given them a great review, my question is: if someone is allergic to gluten, if my kitchen has regular flour in it, would a cross contamination bother her?

• Kate says:

Hello!
      You’re asking a great question – one that will prompt a myriad of responses, I’m sorry to say. When at all possible, people prefer completely gluten free kitchens, work areas, pans, etc. There is a risk of the cross-contact causing illness/damage to the villi. That being said, a good cleaning (while not fool-proof) of all work spaces, utensils, etc can work. People who have to share their gluten-free kitchen with gluten-eaters find a way to make it work. I think your friend would have told you if there was any reason to worry. To be honest, I think the cookies and the kindness sound divine! She’s lucky to have you as a brave friend who is willing to cook gluten-free for her! :D -Kate

7. Madeline LaValley says:

I have just read your Molasses bread recipe and will try it. I am interested in whole-grain breads (such as I used to eat like WW bread, rye, etc.) Has anyone tried adding coconut flour to your bread? Also, have you tried Montina – a grain from South America that is now grown in Montana? Some of the flours like bean and Quinoa have “flavors” I am not real fond of – tho the Molasses bread recipe my not have that taste. Coconut flour is so delicious in my oatmeal cookie mix but I don’t know how it would work in above recipe. Any thots on this or cooking with coconut flour? I am happy to find a site with a new fix of flours. Madeline

8. Hi there, I was wondering if I could sub Bob’s Red Mill GF flour mix for the Fenster? Thanks

9. Debbie says:

What GF quick oats have you found? I would love to get my hands on some.

10. Sandra says:

Hello all,

I love this bread. However I have been unsuccessful to getting my bread to rise. I have tried kneading more and less. It still tastes good, but it is dense. Any suggestions??

11. natasha says:

hi there! im still new to this gf cooking but could i use instant yeast instead? thanx any suggestions would be great!

12. Michelle Olejar says:

Questions for you, what size pan did you use? I am either blind or it isn’t listed and with gluten free bread that is important. The amount of flour looks like it is either a big regular loaf pan or two little ones. I bought some molasses, and am eager to try the recipe. I hope Rory is doing well and not too many sleepless nights happening right now. Thanks for all your wonderful recipes.

• Kate says:

Hi Michelle –
      I used a regular loaf pan. (Sorry – I often forget to mention pan size!
      Rory is great – sleeps 3 – 4 hours at a shot already! :) Now… if only her big sister would nap so easily!
      Kate

• Michelle Olejar says:

Thanks Kate! When I posted, I couldn’t see the photo otherwise I could have figured it out, because I can see it clearly now in the photo. Glad to hear Rory is doing so well. A new little one is such a blessing yet a big adjustment, so I thank you for your quick response.

I have found that I really like Carol Fenster’s mix in other things. So much, that the prepared stuff that I thought was awesome when I first went gluten free is now beginning to not taste so great now. It is funny how that happens. I love her pizza crust recipe. Super easy and so far one of the best. Your flat bread recipe is another great recipe that is super easy and great as pizza or as a sandwich.

13. Sherry says:

My first attempt ended up with an underbaked product, but I could tell this had potential. I tried again and think it is wonderful. Used Bobs Red Mill but otherwise followed your instructions. Then I split the dough into 4 small pans, let rise 45 minutes, baked for 30 and did not have to worry about over browning. Thank you for sharing your experiences. I am new at this game, 9 months, and my daughter 8 months. We will both enjoy the bread.

14. Laurlita Rhode says:

I just found your site and can’t wait to try the recpes! Has anyone tried to make GF Bread without eggs? My son can’t have eggs, wheat, dairy, all nuts, soy, and seseame. Any ideas would be great! Thanks

15. Sherri says:

I’m trying this right now – it’s in the oven. I was happy with the way it smelled even while mixing – the other breads I have tried to make have made me gag just mixing them up. Not this one. But a standard size bread pan? I thought that meant 9″X5″ – so now I have dough all over the oven. I think it could have put it in at 16″X4″.

16. Peggy says:

My husband has been gluten free for 2 years now, he is Italian, and grew up eating pasta’s and breads. So I love to cook, and have managed to convert many of recipes. He has been so hungry for RYE BREAD, so I used this recipe and added GF rye powder, and caraway seeds, He loves it, I make it weekly for him. Thanks for the recipe.

17. Is it possible to make without butter?