Gluten Free Oven Baked Corn Dogs

Someone of the Celiac Listserv at Delphiforums started talking about corn dogs this weekend. Shame on them. Really now. No fair. I began to think about my cute nephews. Every time we go out to eat as a family at a specific restaurant that overlooks the Bay, the boys always, always order mini-corn dogs and french fries. It isn’t the food that pulls us adults there – that is for sure – but rather the delightful squeals of the kids as they watch the marina wildlife and happily dip and munch on those corn dogs. So I started to wonder if I could make some kind of mini-tasty-corny-dog treat at home too, but gluten free.

I did manage to make a tasty treat. The flavor of these dog wraps is spot on! However, in an attempt to cut back on the oil/fat, I made a recipe to be baked. While this made tasty, certainly less fatty, corn-dogs, it is lacking the sponge quality of deep-fried dogs. As always, I welcome your input and tweaks! In the meantime, if you are game for corn dog flavor, and don’t mind a heavier wrap, I’ve got the recipe for you!

Gluten Free Baked Corn Dogs
Dough Ingredients: (enough for approximately 24 mini-dogs)
2/3 cup of each: sorghum flour, GF flour blend (with xanthan gum) and corn meal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon gelatin
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon dried garlic and onion pieces
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 Tablespoons butter
1 1/2 Tablespoons shortening
1 egg
2/3 cup + 2 Tablespoons evaportaed milk (or buttermilk)

(Don’t forget the dogs! I used Hebrew National Hot Dogs and cut them into thirds.)

Steps:

1. Preheat oven to 450F.
  2. Lightly oil a cookie sheet or line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
  3. Cut hot dogs into lengths just shorter than you biscuit cutter. (I cut mine into thirds.)
  4. Blend together dry ingredients (flours through seasonings) in a stand mixer (for ease, but any mixer will do.)
  5. Add butter and shortening and mix until well incorporated and no large clumps remain.
  6. Add egg and 2/3 cup of evaporated milk. Add additional milk to create soft dough texture and have all ingredients stick together without becoming wet.
  7. Mix on medium-high for 2-3 minutes.
  8. Scrap all dough into a large ball.
  9. Roll out on parchment paper or silpat to 1/4″ thickness.
  10. Using a biscuit cutter (or large circular cookie cutter), cut out shapes from the rolled dough.
  11. Lift the cut-out with a spatula and put into your hand. Place a 1/3 of a hot dog into the dough and gently roll the dough around the hot dog and then seal the edges. Repeat until you have used all the dough – or hot dogs. =)
  12. Place all the mini corn dogs on the cookie sheet evenly spaced apart.
  13. Bake for 12 minutes at 450F.

Enjoy!

27 comments on “Gluten Free Oven Baked Corn Dogs
  1. glutenfreesteve says:

These sound yummy. I haven’t made cornbread since going gf but need to try. I loved cornbread in years past…hmm, maybe this weekend I’ll give all this a shot. Thanks for posting your recipe!

2. Kate says:

This isn’t really a corn bread recipe – but it’s funny that you mention that. Someone just asked for one and I was just pulling it out to send it to them. I’ll email the recipe to you now. =)

3. dancingmoogle says:

Hey,

Thanks for this blog. Thanks for starting this blog, as my mom is allergic to wheat products, and alot of these recipes don’t have wheat at all in them. Oh and we never use flour in our cornbread anyway, if you want the recipe.

4. Kate says:

You’re welcome, DancingMoogle. =)
    All of the recipes that you come across that read “Gluten Free” (which are all of them on this site) do not contain wheat at all. Gluten is found in wheat, rye, and barley and many Celiacs avoid oats as well. The avoidance of oats is not due to gluten, but rather the possibility of cross-contamination with gluten-containing grains either in the field or the processing.

Thanks for your encouragement! =)

5. Ginger says:

Oh, how I love me my corn dogs. I tried to make corn “burgers” (stuffed with cheese, surrounded in a corn batter with fresh corn) when I first learned I have Celiac. They were tasty, if I made them the size of a silver dollar. I was thinking of ideas for a GF drive through. Found your link through someone that linked to your wraps. Can’t wait to try those!

6. liz says:

oh my, my husband would LOVE these!!!!
    liz

7. Theresa says:

speaking of cornbread. I tried the gluten free pantry’s chocolate truffle brownies this weekend( GREAT ) and i noticed they also carry a cornbread mix. I am going to get some and try it next week and cant wait!!! The mix wasnt very expensive and i also noticed that several other GF brands have cornbread mixes to.

8. Jim says:

Thanks for the recipe. Do you have a gluten-free, dairy-free version?? Or, have you tried rice milk as a substitute for evaporated milk (a bit thin?)? Thanks,
    j

Jim – I haven’t tried to make this recipe dairy-free. However, I imagine you could use rice milk or a thinned out coconut milk just fine. The intensity of evaporated milk is what I was looking for – that’s why I used that instead of my regular 1% milk. Please come back and let us know if you try this or have a better idea. :) -Kate

UPDATE: Jim… I just found this on recipezaar. Maybe this will help:

Dairy-Free Substitution: 1 cup water + 6 tablespoons soy milk powder = 1 cup evaporated

9. jill says:

you inspired me! I didn’t have gelatin or evapo milk so I made the traditional fried fat kid ones, thanks for putting them into my head! I would like to try yours sometime though

OH! Those friend ones look SO GOOD! Thanks for linking that here – people are gonna love it!

10. Sharon says:

Very Good…Delicious! I made corn muffins with the hot dogs in them. I added water for muffin batter consistency, and added 4 teaspoons of gelatin to make it moist, Thank you.

The corn muffin-dog idea sounds great! I bet it would make a tasty lunch item from my bento! :) Thanks for sharing your ideas. -Kate

11. Sharon says:

I wanted an easy way to make corn dogs. My hubby made the suggestion about the corn muffin dogs for my 8 year old son to eat. When he made the suggestion I did a search online and found your recipe. I have had two previous attempts on my own to make good GF corn muffins, and they came out horrible. Thanks to your recipe not only can I make the corn muffin dogs, but I can make great corn muffins as well. Thanks again.

12. Amy says:

So happy to find your site, and the corn dog recipe. My family and I are slowly finding our food allergies/sensitivities. It’s hard being vegan and wheat free, and it may not be enough we may all be going GF too. We’ll see what I come up with after substituting the gelatin, egg, and milk, for xanthan gum, egg replacer, and rice milk with a bit of vinager and more xanthan gum. The test will be my finicky 5 yo’s taste buds. :) Amy

13. Jennifer says:

What about corn-less corn dog? We can’t do rice or corn…any ideas how I can make this classic without corn or rice? My 2 yr old would appreciate it! Jennifer

14. Youthful One says:

Just as a response to the last comment – often times my mom can substitute millet for corn – you might see if you can coarsely grind millet or utilize a millet cornbread recipe.

• Krista says:

I know this is old but I wanted to chime in anyway. If you toast millet in a dry pan until, well, toasty (it’ll pop and smell good) you can then grind it in a coffee grinder. This makes a coarse flour that tastes a little like popcorn, so it should work well as a cornmeal substitute.

15. Megan says:

Boar’s Head brand is all gluten free. Their cocktail wieners would work great for this recipe.

16. Patty says:

Hi, I just tried this recipe and it turned out great! I wasn’t looking for gluten-free, just non-fried corndogs. These were a hit! I did modify the recipe some (since I wasn’t going for gluten-free I used 1 1/3 cup AP flour and 2/3 cup cornmeal) and left out the fat and egg altogether. I added 2 tsp vinegar to the milk to sour it (and to somewhat replace the egg). They turned out great! And I even figured out how to get the chewy texture on the outside of the corndog — boil it in baking soda water for 30 – 40 seconds before baking and that’ll do the trick! Nice and chewy, and lower fat! :)

17. Youthful One says:

Patty – could you detail the ‘boil in baking soda water’ bit for me?
    How much baking soda in how much water?
    Just drop them into the boiling water? The batter adheres to the dogs and doesn’t just blob everywhere in the water?

My son requested corn dogs for his upcoming birthday and I was hoping to avoid deep frying again, but I have a non-GF husband who is a bit picky on his corn dog textures. :D

18. Bryn says:

Oh goodness, these made my finals week so much better. Thaaank you.

19. crys says:

there is a gluten free Bisquick now I bet if you go to the Bisquick site you will find a recipe using the new mix and put with what you already have would be perfect.

20. Dawn Bombier says:

Thank you for sharing, but you are baking to try to be healthier and eating nitrates! Read the Hewrew Nat’l label. Nitrates will slowly fry your brain.

21. Lindsey says:

I made these for my son’s 3rd birthday party–they were a huge hit! Half of his guests are gluten-free and we too try to avoid it for the most part…I was so happy with how these turned out and the kids loved them. I’m really not good in the kitchen but they weren’t too hard and I was pretty proud of them. Thanks so much for posting!

22. Carol Cripps says:

@ Youthful One: for bagels, you use a tablespoon of soda to a large pot of water. Mind you, I’ve made perfectly good bagels without using the soda, so you may not need it. As this recipe isn’t so much a batter as it is a dough (biscuit-like), it will stick to the hot dogs rather than sliding off into the water and becoming goo. Hope this helps,
    Carol

3 Pings/Trackbacks for "Gluten Free Oven Baked Corn Dogs"
  1. [...] Baked Corn Dogs:  I never really knew what a corn dog was until just before my diagnosis.  I always heard about them, mostly in reference to baseball games… I think, but I never had one until about a year before I was diagnosed with celiac disease and even then it was only one.  These were yummy and very easy to make.  The only problem I had was that they were too crispy, but that’s probably because of my oven.  I have found in the past that my oven tends to cook at a hotter temperature than others and so I generally have to adjust the baking time; a note for next time.  These were great for lunch as either the main meal or just a snack (main meal for me with a salad on the side). [...]

2. [...] a classic kid favorite. We like this homemade, gluten free version the whole family can enjoy: Gluten Free Oven Baked Corn Dogs recipe from Gluten Free Gobsmacked. Serve with a side of steamed veggies and a glass of [...]