GF: Millet & Quinoa Bread

Oh, Natalie!
Seamaiden!

Who do I thank first?

Natalie: Your Millet & Oatmeal bread is now one of my all time favorites. Not only does it prove the fact that GF baking is NOT difficult but that GF bread is DELECTABLE!

Seamaiden: If it were not for your Adopt-A-GF-Blogger Event, I would have postponed baking this delight and lunch-saving bread. You’re a gem!

After my conference, I was looking forward to being home with my love and pup and back in the kitchen. Mind you I had no problems finding more than enough delicious food to eat, but I rather enjoy puttering in my kitchen. I wanted to be back.

In fact, before I left the city, I stopped at Sur La Table to putter a bit. I think i can spend way too much time (and money!) in kitchen stores and bookstores. Can’t you? I can’t help it – sometimes I just like to get some new ideas.

On this trip, I found some fabulous cookie & cracker cutters. They are shaped with fluted edges or circles of various sizes. Some cutters have the centers removed – perfect for jeweled crackers or stained glass window cookies. I also found a couple cookies cutters shaped like an elephant (I’m making some pink elephant cookies for my conference-roomie as a fun reminder of our cosmo & wine night). I picked up a couple others too. Love that store.

I scored a 10″ x 5″ commercial bread pan too. (Made by Chicago Metallic – Professional Series 1 1/2 pound bread pan) Finding this bread pan made me think about Natalie and the Adopt-A-GF-Blogger event.

You see, Natalie posted a fabulous recipe for Millet & Oatmeal bread a little while back and I’ve been dying to try it. Like all GF eaters, I’m always willing to try a new bread recipe. And hers looked divine (it is!).  (NOTE:  February 2011:  Natalie’s site has had some issues since she stopped blogging in 2008.  I have copied her original recipe and stored it here for reference. I didn’t want to lose this great bread recipe and I did not feel comfortable reposting all of it without being able to connect with Natalie.  So here is her copy for reference since I don’t have the recipe posted here.)

The thing is, this recipe calls for a 10″x5″ pan (1 1/2 pound capacity) which can be hard to find. (Here’s one here on Amazon.com)

After making this bread, I can assure you that you can easily use two smaller bread pans (not the standard 9″ (1 pound) pans – but the 8″ pans) or even 3-4 mini loaf pans. And trust me, this one is worth making.

While I did make a few adaptations to fit my pantry, you can find Natalie’s original recipe is here.

Here is a list of what I did:

• I used sorghum flour instead of rice flour.
  • I used quinoa instead of oat flour…and contemplated using chestnut flour instead too. That will have to wait until the next loaf.
  • I used cornstarch as I didn’t have arrowroot starch.
  • I used a teaspoon of agave nectar + 1/2 teaspoon of sugar for my yeast proofing.
  • I used 1 1/2 cups of water overall. 1/4 water for the yeast proofing and an additional 1 1/4 cups of water for the rest of it.
  • I lessened my beating the dough from 15 minutes to 5. (Hey… it was 11:00PM by the time I got started…LOL)
  • I let the dough rise for 45 minutes and baked for 40 minutes.

It only cooled about 20 minutes before we couldn’t resist any more and had to take a slice.

It was sandwich heaven on Sunday. We had the best grilled corned beef and cheese (cranberry & chipotle cheddar) sandwiches for lunch. All accompanied by some fabulous chickpea fries. (I’ll post that recipe this week too – no worries!)

And by the way, today (Monday), I had the most delicious corned beef sandwich at work with this tasty bread. And tomorrow, I think I will make it a ham sandwich. And…well… I will continue to be in sandwich heaven until I make another loaf again.

Thanks again, Natalie and Sea! This was FUN!
Happy Bread-making and GF Blogging!

38 comments on “GF: Millet & Quinoa Bread
  1. Glutigirl says:

I made her bread a couple weeks ago and can’t stop singing praises for her and her recipe! It is the best gluten free bread I’ve ever had. I think it doesn’t taste gluten free at all. I have served it to company and they loved it. I am so happy about this bread. I make it with the oatmeal flour. But it’s nice to know it turned out well with the other flours as well.

2. Baillie says:

Hi!
    I was just wondering if you could help me out with a bread question. I don’t have a stand mixer or bread machine, can I make this bread by hand? Does gluten-free bread need to be kneaded?
    Thanks!
    Baillie

• Kate says:

Kneaded – YES – but NOT in the traditional/gluten-filled version of being needed. It really needs to be beaten for several minutes in a mixer to help the xanthan gum (or the guar gum) develop elasticity. The texture of the dough completely changes after being beaten on medium-high for several minutes.
      Read the recipe carefully – if it calls for the dough to be mixed for any length of time after the ingredients have come together then you really need a mixer.
      Quick bread recipes are easy to whip up by hand, but traditional loaves of bread are going to need some mixing, typically.
      Sorry!
      Kate

3. Courtney says:

I can not find the recipe for this bread that you keep raving about. Is the website down? Can someone send me Natalie’s recipe?

• Kate says:

Wow… I am sad to think that her site has been pulled down. I know it has been a long while since she was online and posting… but oh! Her recipes are delicious! I hope it is just an funky error of the moment and that she/her site are well and back up soon!

4. kelly says:

I baked this in a breadmaker without a GF setting. I could not find millet in the stores so I used oat in place of the millet and quinoa in place of the oat. Despite the machine “punching the dough down” 2x, this stuff kept rising. I did use bread machine dry active yeast for faster rising and higher loaves. This bread was baked Sunday, is stored in a large ziploc bag in my cupboard, and is still moist today Tuesday. It makes the perfect sandwich slices for my 6 years olds wonder bread lunch container. Best of all I found a wheat free bread that FINALLY passed my 6 year olds standards for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Really, this bread the way I made it tastes close to nothing. Literally. Which is what my son, wheat free since December, is used to in his wheat flour bread. Yesterday only crust came home in the lunchbox. How happy I am and thankful to have these sites to go to and get recipes. THANK YOU!!!

5. dawn campbell says:

what is yeast proofing? I have never heard of this term.

• Kate says:

Dawn –
      Proofing yeast means to set the yeast aside with warm liquid and some type of sugar in order for the yeast to become active. It will foam up as it activates.
      Hope this helps!
      ~Kate

• Claire says:

“Proof” means rise. (Is that maybe a yankee-ism? I’ve only ever heard Northerners use the verb form of the word “proof.”)

In South Carolina, we let bread “rise” in a greased bowl in a warm place. In the spring/fall, I leave it in a hot car. On hot summer days, I leave it outside in the sun. In the winter, I warm the oven for a minute just to 100 degrees and turn it off. It should never go above 130 or it will kill the yeast. For the most part, ere on the side of cooler over hotter. Cooler rises (90 degrees or so) produce bread that is less crumbly with better texture.

6. Lorn says:

Can you make this bread with baking powder and baking soda? I’m avoiding yeast.

7. Michelle Olejar says:

Just made this bread today. I swapped out the Brown Rice for Sorghum and the Oat for Quinoa. I was a little afraid of the taste, as the smell from the Quinoa was strong, but it tasted wonderful. In fact, it lasted a whole 5 minutes on the cool down phase before I couldn’t help but cut into it. Ahhhh warm bread with butter and honey….I have MISSED that! I did bake it in the smaller pans and they sort of deflated a bit before I got them in the oven. I thought they might rise more in the oven, but they didn’t. Next time I will try the big pan. Over all, I am happy with the effort and I will be making this again. I have to try your Molasses bread first though. Thanks for the link! You are helping me get a little more braver with the substitutions~ Yay!

8. Trudy says:

I found the recipe for Gluten Free Millet Oatmeal Bread and would like to try it tonight. My husband just recently found out he needs to eat gluten free. I buy active dry yeast in bulk. Could anyone tell me how much 1 packet equals? I’m thinking perhaps 1 1/2 tsp. but not sure. Thanks!

9. jasmine says:

My first attempt at gluten free bread baking with this recipe…in fact its my first time making any kind of bread! It turned out better than i thought. But the centre part of the bread came out dense and doughy while the outside was crusty. I’ve never had gluten-free bread before and I’m not sure if this the what the texture is suppose to be like?

10. Michele M. says:

Does anyone know if you can substitue stevia for the molasses and sugar in this recipe? I want to make it for my aunt, and she’s also sensitive to sugar. If not stevia, I was thinking Splenda, because I know they make a kind specifically for baking.

• Jess says:

i’m not sure about the replacing as you usually need at least some sugar (a couple table spoons or so as she has here) to activate the yeast. as far as the splenda for baking… you can use regular splenda for baking, but if you get the blended kind or whatever that’s actually just 50% sugar and 50% splenda that they then charge you the same price of regular splenda for. same thing goes for their brown sugar, it’s a pretty big rip off if you ask me.

11. Rowan says:

Kate – when you replace rice flour with sorghum are you replacing the brown AND sweet rice flours for a combined equal amount of sorghum? Thanks!

• Rowan –
      Only the rice flour (brown or white) – NOT the sweet rice flour. And yes, in equal amounts 1:1.
      Sweet rice flour functions much more like a starch and cannot be replaced with millet or sorghum. If you need to substitute for sweet rice flour, I use equal amounts of tapioca starch.
      -Hope that helps!

12. Vicki says:

I’m new to having to go gluten free (and also no potatoes). I want to try this bread recipe but I also can not have sugar and fruit together. Can I use GF white vinegar instead of apple cider vinegar? Is the vinegar even necessary?

Could the brown sugar and molsasses reduced?

Also, I don’t have a mixer with a dough hooks/paddle… What to do?

Thanks for your help!

• You can absolutely swap the vinegar for any other GF vinegar.
      And I believe the sugar/molasses could be halved -but there may be impact on your yeast development and rise. I don’t know for sure.
      And you don’t need a dough hook for GF breads. Just the regular mixing paddle. :D

• Vicki says:

Thanks so much Kate! That’s good to know.

I don’t have a mixer with a paddle — just regular beaters like for cakes. Will they work?

• yes – it will work. Just takes a while. So GF doughs are really heavy – so I like my stand mixer. (I’m a spoiled wimp on this one!) We never had a stand mixer but when we got married, my cousins and aunt pooled money together for us to buy one. I never knew how much I would love it/use it until it arrived about a week after my Celiac diagnosis!

• spike31642 says:

@ Vicki I don’t have a fancy stand mixer or anything so I mix it the old fashion way, kneading by hand. It takes a bit longer, but I count as part of my workout for the day! I’d definitely recommend doing this in a bowl, at first you’ll think it’s waaaay too wet, but after about 5 minutes you’ll be able to tell it starts to firm up. ^_^

13. Mabel Bond says:

This is ABSOLUTELY THE BEST gluten free bread I have made since my daughter was diagnosed at age 16. She is now 23. Have tried SEVERAL others. Found some okay, but this will be THE GO TO recipe from here on out! I am presently enjoying a turkey,lettuce,tomato, and cheese sandwich as I am typing this. AMAZING! Thank you! Thank you!

14. Molly says:

I have been reviewing the different bread recipes on your blog with much excitement, and this is the first one I tried. I have to agree with Mabel… this is the best GF bread I have ever eaten! I used your substitutions and a regular sized loaf pan and voila, this bread is a little slice of heaven. Thanks for sharing!! My next project will be the lavash bread….

15. Alison says:

I’m a bit confused as to which recipe you ladies are using. The recipe at the top (see her original recipe here) of the the page is different from the one linked in your comment Kate/ One has sweet rice flour, one doesn’t. Which one should I go for? Also, can honey be used in place of the sugar in the proofing? This will be my first Gluten free baking adventure and I’m very excited. This bread would be preffered by me either way just from a nutrition stand-point…I can’t wait to see how it turns out if I can figure out which recipe to follow. Thanks!

16. Claire says:

This might be a silly question, but did you add agave + regular sugar in addition to or in place of the molasses + brown sugar? (I’m assuming “sugar” means regular white, not brown sugar.)
    Thanks!

5 Pings/Trackbacks for "GF: Millet & Quinoa Bread"
  1. [...] Free Gobsmacked- Kate made this bread here using quinoa flour and agave nectar and has suggestions about pan size [...]

2. [...] of Yum 2. Gluten Free Gobsmacked 3. Simply Gluten Free 4. Gluten-Free Mommy 5. In the Life of a Child 6. Ginger Lemon [...]

3. [...] grabbed the first one in the cupboard and the larger one was there because I had just made some Millet andQuinoa Bread. (Go [...]

4. [...] some ingredients and I am leary to try GF oats at the moment, thus using the variations found at http://glutenfree.wordpress.com/2008/03/03/gf-millet-quinoa-bread/ on Gluten Free [...]

5. [...] cooked Rosemary lamb shanks with garlic potatoes, some other veggie and Kate’s millet quinoa bread, an adaptation of Natalie’s great oat millet bread. (I’m currently out of oats so [...]