Wahoo! A menu plan meal photographed and ready to go. It was good too. I hope the rest of my plans turn out well. I’m using up the last of everything in the fridge, etc this week. And this chicken sandwich was a perfect hit after an hour of a Body-Step class that just about killed me. I don’t know what the hell I was thinking joining a Step Class. I have no rhythm and my friends *KNOW* I can’t dance to save my soul. At least I try, right?
Thankfully, I’m little better at grilling chicken then I am at Step Class. A teeny touch of heat combined with honey-mustard and a perfectly grilled chicken breast makes for the perfect sandwich. Eat it along side some fresh or grilled vegetables and some fresh blueberries mixed with low fat yogurt and you have the perfect, easy summer meal. Add five glasses of water and a few “what the hell was I thinking” moments and you have the perfect, easy after-Step-Class-Hell dinner too.
The grilling sauce for the chicken is easy. Most grilling sauces are. I love the zip of dijon mustard with something sweet (like a ginger preserve or apricot jam too!). This time I added a good squirt of prepared wasabi (a green, hot Japanese condiment often served with sushi – much like horseradish, only a different kind of heat).
While you can adjust the heat with the amount of wasabi you use, I strongly suggest that you make it relatively hot as the flavor will become more mild during grilling. You can also reserve some of the dressing to use on the sandwich wraps. We used a little bit of the dressing mixed with a tiny amount of mayo as the spread on the bread because the mayo cut the heat down a bit too. (My love preferred it full on SPICY too.)
Gluten-Free Honey, Mustard and Dijon Grilled Chicken Sandwiches
Makes 2 Sandwiches
1/2 prepared mock lavash bread cut into two pieces
2 chicken breasts, rinsed and patted dry
olive oil (for drizzling)
salt/pepper to taste
1/3 cup dijon mustard
1/4 cup honey or agave
1 Tablespoon prepared wasabi paste (or more, to taste)
1 Tablespoon mayonnaise
fresh clover sprouts
fresh tomato slices
- Flatten the chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap (or in a plastic bag) until you have an even thickness (about 1/2″). Drizzle the chicken breasts (both sides) with olive oil and sprinkle with salt/pepper.
- Preheat your grill or grill pan.
- Mix together honey, mustard and wasabi. Taste and adjust heat/wasabi per your taste.
- Reserve a couple tablespoons for sandwich dressing. Mix this with the mayonnaise (1 Tablespoon or more as per your taste) and set aside.
- Generously brush the sauce on to the chicken breasts.
- Grill sauce side down for 4-6 minutes until golden AND generous brush on the sauce to the other side of the chicken breast.
- Flip the chicken and grill until golden. Apply the sauce one last time.
- Remove chicken from grill when the juices run clear and/or the breasts have an internal temperature of 160F.
- Make your sandwiches! Grilled chicken, mayo/mustard dressing/sauce, fresh clover sprouts, fresh tomato slices, piquillo peppers, etc.