The loss of a loyal friend

Max riding in the car, originally uploaded by Kate Chan.

Our sweet and loving first ‘baby” has passed away. At the young age of seven, Max became suddenly ill and there was nothing we could do to save him.

Our loyal, intelligent and comfort-loving pup will be sorely missed.

Thus the absence of posts as of late.

Life just isn’t the same without the happy greetings with toys at the doors, snacking underfoot while cooking and lounging in the sunshine.

It’s going to be a bit of an adjustment for us. We moved in to our first house (this one) and two weeks later, Max came to live with us too. We’d only been married a short while and it was our first chance to have a friend like Max. We enjoyed FlyBall, agility classes, bringing him to work/school, and having an all-around companion for life. He loved Zoe, and would run with us when he would hear her cries through the baby monitor.

Oh! He is missed!!!
~Kate

32 comments on “The loss of a loyal friend
  1. mare says:

If there is anything I can empathize with, it’s your loss of a magical member of the family. Be well and healthy.

2. Peggy says:

It’s never easy losing a family member of the 4-legged kind. I love his sweet, kind eyes in the photo you posted. Blessings to you at a sad time.

3. Penny says:

I am so sorry to learn of your loss. Cyber hugs.

4. I am so sorry, Kste. Pets are such a huge part of our lives, that when they’re gone, it is a loss. My thoughts go out to you and your family.

5. Maiden Of Secrets says:

I am so sorry. Pets are so loved, and it’s hard when things like this happen. Max looks like he was an adorable, sweet puppy.

6. Gretchen says:

I’m so sorry. He looks so sweet. I’m sitting here with tears in my eyes, because I know just how special our pets are. Take care.

7. SarahB says:

So sorry for your loss! Dogs are such special members of the family.

8. Miss Amy O says:

Losing a pet is really rough. I am sorry. You are in my thoughts.

9. Nancy says:

My heart goes out to you, your family, and Max.

10. Holly says:

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Rest assured, Max is chasing balls in heaven, with all of our loved ones.

11. Friedl says:

Oh, that is so sad…..

12. Cathy says:

What a beautiful dog. I’m sorry for your loss.

13. Oh, Kate, I am so sorry. Losing a beloved pet can hit us like a ton of bricks. They give so much to us and there is just a huge hole when they are gone.

Huggggs,

14. Cinde says:

Oh Kate, that is so very sad. I am truly sorry for the loss of your sweet friend. :(

15. SO sorry about Max. He looks like my sons dog:)

16. Oh sweet friend, I am so sorry for your loss. I know how much your “firstborn” meant to you.

He’s happily romping in heaven, keeping his eyes open for Zoe and you both. He’s your guardian pup.

much love in your time of sadness. Ging

17. Kristina says:

Kate, I’m so sorry for you and your family. Losing a beloved dog is so difficult.

18. I’m so sorry for your loss. Our dogs really do attach themselves to our hearts, don’t they.

“Goldfish, turtles, and hamsters are pets.
    Dogs are family.”
    ~ Mark Levin, Rescuing Sprite

19. Vida says:

I am so sorry for your loss – my belief is that my loving fur children will be waiting for me in the after-life for a joyous reunion.

20. oh no, I am so sorry to hear. Be good to yourselves while you heal.

21. Jacqueline says:

My heart goes out to you all, even as I do not know you. I have my own sweet “dog-daughter.” Emma is my girl and reminds me daily that my prayers to become a mother are not bad prayers to pray. I love your blog because of all of the miracles contained within, and the fragility. I see myself in you and your story. May the LOVE that has carried you all this far carry you further.

22. Jennifer says:

So very sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved pup. He is beautiful. Please know that my thoughts are with you.

23. Gina says:

Sniff… :(

24. Jan says:

I’m so sorry for your loss. It is never easy to lose a furry friend and companion. xoxo

25. corndoggirl says:

Oh, that’s so sad. My dogs are so good with my son, and I can’t imagine losing them. :(

26. Jessica says:

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about your loss! It is always so difficult to lose our furry ‘children’.

27. miss a says:

i love your blog! i am sorry to hear about your loss!!!

28. Kimberly says:

I am so deeply sorry for the loss of your beautiful boy Max. What a gorgeous, silky baby.

I appreciate your blog as it is a huge help for my autistic son. Thank you.

29. Melanie says:

I’m so sorry to hear this. I have 5 dogs, so I completely understand the love one has for a dog. My heart goes out to you.

30. rhuby loves you says:

NO NO NO NO NO NO. >:(

terrible news. i am hurting for you, and sending peace vibes.

31. Nina says:

This is a beautiful animal. I can see he had a lot of soul.