I finally have a chance to share a recipe with you!
The Chicklet had a couple days of all day daycare this week as school begins again for me next week and I am moving classrooms. She did AMAZINGLY well….. Mommy on the other hand? Well, I called *my Mommy* every morning I dropped her off because *I* was a wreck! I swear, the world goes ’round because of the love from our moms, huh?
I’ve made several batches of these sugar cookies to test the texture. This recipe is for the overwhelming voted-for, soft and chewy version. (Although if you voted for crunchy and melt-in-your-mouth, I’ll satisfy your cravings with my next post… piece-o-cake!) I tried to frost the cookies a couple times – and the frosting was a HUGE hit with my nephews, but the adults preferred these. I thought the frosting would help keep the cookies soft and chewy, but it turns out – no help was needed!
And my babe – who really doesn’t like cookies (!!) or cakes, etc – likes little nibbles of these. The soft chewy texture and sweet little nibble satisfies something in her. However, her true sweet-tooth passion is fruit. Any kind of fruit – especially if Daddy is eating it. Yeap… she’s a food thief and a mighty-cute one at that!
So… without much more ado and fan-fair – ’cause let’s face it – my mommy haitus has been going on long enough – I”VE MISSED BLOGGING!!!! – here’s the recipe and few crucial tips:
SECRET TO SUCCESS: Start with room temperature butter (or Earth’s Balance)!
Gluten Free Soft and Chewy Sugar Cookies
Recipe makes 2 – 2 1/2 dozen cookies
1/2 cup butter or Earth’s Balance
1/4 cup whipped cream cheese
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/3 cups gluten free flour mix
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- Cream together butter, whipped cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy – about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the egg and vanilla. Beat for another minute.
- Stop the mixer. Scrap down the sides of the bowl. Dump all of the dry ingredients (starting with the flour) on top of the creamy mixture. Mix well.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Scoop by the tablespoon and drop on to parchment paper at least 2 inches apart. (The cookies spread.)
- Bake for 8 – 10 minutes or until the edges begin to turn golden brown. (Time may vary depending on your oven – so watch the color of the edges!)
- Remove the cookies from the oven and allow to cool completely on the parchment paper before moving.
- Frost, Eat and/or Store in an airtight container.
Happy Cookie Baking and Munching!