Say: Breadmaker!

So… my Love bought me a shiny new bread machine.  I’ve had a really hard time getting TIME to bake bread like I used to.  Between teaching (grading papers, planning, etc), playing with the Imp, and trying to maintain some type of order to our lives, I just don’t bake bread anymore.  BUT, I have been buying bread.  And unhappily at that.  Homemade GF bread beats the *socks* off any frozen or other form of GF bread available in the markets. And let me just say this:  I’ve tried them ALL.

I think baking my own bread for this many years has spoiled me.  When I get a load that just doesn’t turn out as light, spongy and fabulous to which I am now accustomed, I just turn it in to garlic bread, crostini, bruschetta, or some other such thing.

But people!  I need my bread!

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not the bread machine.  It gets RAVE reviews and it beats the GF bread perfectly (unlike my last bread machine which made me mix the batter BEFORE putting it in the machine.. umm… NO!).  I asked for this particular machine because of the reviews – and it’s quiet too!  It even makes a “normal” looking loaf of bread.  (Meaning:  the same shape as a “traditional loaf” pan does.)  Gotta love that.  The paddles didn’t leave a giant hole (or holes… as there are two on this machine) either.  Genius, I tell you!  So really – it’s not the machine!  It is completely it’s operator.  :D

So, when my Love got this fabulous bread machine, I thought I would take it on its maiden voyage with a proven recipe that I LOVE.  I made my Pepita-powered bread which has never failed me… until I stuck it in the bread maker.  Believe it or not, there was NO issue with the mixing.  I think the problem came with the rising time.  Maybe it didn’t have enough time to rise sufficiently?  What I am now eating for my bread this week is a dense loaf (a la old school rye bread) of  Pepita Bread.

To be perfectly honest, my heart sank along with the loaf.

I thought about playing around with the moisture level, the programming of the machine to allow more rise time, etc. But then – DUH!  I have a whole group of people I can ask!

So I’m asking YOU!

• Have you converted any of your bread recipes to be used in a bread machine?
  • Do you use a bread machine for your GF bread?
  • Got any tips to share?

In the meantime, I am making Cheesey Bread (Faux Chebe Bread) that whips up and bakes in less time than it takes the Midge to read a couple books at my feet.  (PERFECT!)  The bonus part:  she loves to “help” by standing on a chair and dumping in the cheese for these tasty buns too.  There is nothing more beautiful than having your own personal baking assistant who makes you laugh when you hit the switch too high and the tapioca flour F—–L——-I——-E——-S!!  Life is good!

But, surely I’m not the only one asking for help with bread machine conversions, am I?
Thanks for your ideas and input, everyone!
My bread-craving tummy thanks you too!
xoxoxo!
~Kate

36 comments on “Say: Breadmaker!
  1. Kate says:

I use Annalise Roberts’s book on GF Baking for the Bread Machine. Honestly, I’ve hardly gotten off the first page (the plain old sandwich bread) because it’s so good. Her main directions — that have helped me when I have used other recipes — have been to beat the liquid ingredients ahead of time really well (especially those eggs) — and to make sure all the ingredients are room temp before putting it all together.

2. Katie says:

I’ve heard that gluten-free breads need less rise time, so I usually cook my bread on the quick cycle and it works great. They never rise like my old wheat loaves did, but they’re not too dense. Good luck!!

3. Amy says:

Good luck on your quest!
    I’ve had difficulties finding a bread I like, too. but I do have to sub for eggs as well.
    Try varying the liquid amounts – just a tablespoon too much water and your loaf can sink into a gooey brick.
    I quite like the basic garbanzo bread from the Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread but I’m still looking for the perfect GF bread.

4. Ina Gawne says:

Hi Kate: The tips that work for me using a bread machine: I took the paddle out. I discovered that GF bread should not be kneeded very much. I just mix it up in the bowl, put it into the canister smoothing it out, I spread the loaf with melted butter, then I let it sit 30 minutes before plugging in and putting on the GF setting. Works every time. Also, there can sometimes be an issue with the amount of liquid – too much the bread will fall apart, not enough and the loaf is too dense. The texture is sticky, but at the same time not too sticky. I also found that using melted butter, creates a better texture compared to using oil. Good luck!

5. Choupichen says:

I have a couple of bread recipes that work well in a bread machine. I have this great sandwich bread recipe, it turns out beautifully everytime. I have to say switching from guar to xanthan gum made such a difference!!

6. Diana says:

I gave up my bread machine. Discovery of Bob’s Red Mill bread-mix which can be mixed up in less than 10 minutes and baked in regular loaf pan is divine. Satisfies all my needs and I don’t have to be home for more than a couple hours max. The old Zosorushi went into garage sale to benefit Honduras orphanage.

7. Varenikje says:

Ha! The bread machine you are using is the one I gave to one of my daughters to make her bread at home. I actually haven’t tried using a bread machine, but I do use your Pepita-powered bread recipe on loaves at home and it has come out great (but no bread machine). Sounds like people are giving you good advice on using a bread machine to make non-gluten bread. You are going to post your perfect results eventually, right?

8. firebear says:

I use the Tom’s Sandwich Bread Recipe…..
    I posted here…http://firebear.wordpress.com/2009/09/05/gluten-free-bread-yes-you-read-that-right/
    I double the yeast….but that is it…
    you can also program some machines. If you have this option you may like to program only one rise cycle instead of the normal two.
    hope this helps…
    Fire-Eyes

9. Jennifer says:

I use Gluten Free Panty – My Favorite Sandwich Bread – follow the directions on the back and it works great time after time. It’s for my “Wonder” loving 9 year old daughter – it’s the only one she’ll eat.

10. Terra says:

My fiance has celiac and the best bread mix we’ve found is Pamela’s. We use it in our bread machine and it stays together and is the most like normal bread that we’ve found. I even like the taste of it and I don’t like any of the other gluten free breads. I would definitely give it a try.

11. Sim says:

I use a Sunbeam Quantum Smartbake and use all the GF recipes in it and have fabulous success every time. (recipes are available on line.) It has been developed especially for the Coeliac Society apparently, and has and excellent GF setting. The only modification I have made is to extend the second kneading stage by and extra 20 minutes. I also add considerably more grains, LSA, nuts etc. to my grain bread than the specified 3 tbsp (because I like it crunchy). I don’t bother using warm water (just ambient), and I generally forget to take my eggs out of the fridge beforehand as well, and yet I still have great success. The most useful tip is to ensure you take it out of the pan as soon as it is finished, however, as it will go soggy quickly.
    Sorry, I prolly haven’t been that much help at all. Enjoying your blog, though, so I wish you every success.

12. I enjoy Sami’s Bakery brand breads. They have a Millet Flax line that is gluten free. They do make there products in a facility with gluten… (just incase anyone is severly allergic) But its light and useable for french toast and comes Cinnamon Raisin, Banana Walnut, and Millet. They also have pitas and cookies!
    I am so glad I found you ladies. Happy Gluten Free Eating!!

13. Cheryl says:

I have a Zojurushi and use a recipe developed by one of our local CSA members. I live at higher elevation and so use less yeast than someone at sea level would need to add. I have programmed it for only one rise and I remove the paddles after the mixing is done. I make up the dry ingredients into baggies, sans yeast. When I want a loaf of bread, I take out a baggie, add the yeast, put the liquid ingredients into the machine, add the dry, give it a little handmix and turn on the machine. The loaf comes out very tall, fluffy, not dense, not crumbly. No toasting required. I would be happy to give you a copy of the recipe for you to play with. The recipe includes programming directions and flavor variations like cinnamon, mock rye bread, and garlic basil parmesean. Someone else gave me manual directions for those who don’t have a machine.

14. Cheryl says:

I just sent the recipe for machine and manual directions to Kate. I’ll let her post it on her blog if she thinks it is appropriate. I believe that we should not hoard good gf recipes. Everyone should be able to benefit. Saying that, I hope she will post the recipes I sent.

• Varenikje says:

I hope so too. I think that is something I miss on the non-gluten diet: bread. Good bread, that is.

• Kate says:

Cheryl –
      I’d have to get permission from the originator before I can post them. Do you know how to find her?

• Cheryl says:

Well, when Irene gave the recipe to the members of our CSA group, I told her I would like to post it online to share and she gave me permission to do so, does that count? I could probably track her down if I needed to, but I don’t think she has a computer (she’s a bit older).

• CHrissy says:

i too would love the bread recipe when you get a moment to send. thanks so much. also is there one without using yeast? thanks for your site. love it.

• Kathy says:

Kate: Is there a chance I can get this recipe too? Maybe you are trying it out. Or should I just be more patient and wait…

15. Cheryl says:

Kate,

When you make the bread, if you make it per the recipe the first time and it doesn’t come out very high, try adding more yeast, up to the amount you usually use. Because I am at 6000 feet, I need less yeast to prevent overproofing. If you don’t have the lecithin or dough enhancer, just make it without those. I also use Bob’s Red Mill mix and doctor it per the instructions in the recipe I submitted to you to make basil/garlic/parmesan, ‘rye’, cinnamon bread, etc. I highly suggest removing the bread from the machine and the pan quite soon after it is done. Otherwise, the bread will ‘suck in’ from the sides and make a smaller loaf.

16. Varenikje says:

Kate,

Is there any chance I can get you to send me the recipe too? It sure sounds like one I would like to try. Thanks!

17. Kathy says:

Living Without magazine is advertising this bread machine. Anyone try it? It seems they recommend a certain mix to put in it.

Has anyone tried this? What do you think?

• Kate says:

Kathy –
      I didn’t get this one because you have to use their mixes. I have always found that making my own mixes or things from scratch is cheaper than buying mixes. So I would rather play around… and am worried about what happens when/if that company ever goes out of business.
      Maybe someone else has tried it and they can give some other input here too…. ??? Anyone?
      ~Kate

18. Kathy says:

Hi! I am still waiting to hear what the bread recipe is on this! Any chance I can get the bread recipe? Please?

19. Jeanette says:

I keep reading about this great recipe (from Cheryl), but I don’t see it posted. Any way I can get it? I would really appreciate it! Thanks.

20. Cheryl says:

Jeanette,

Kate can send you a copy. You might email her directly in case she doesn’t see your post on this older thread.

Kate, did you ever try it?
    BTW, I have a new email.

21. Farzana says:

Seriously,would someone please post the darn recipe lol! I would love to try it as well!!!!