Soon-To-Be

Soon-To-Be, originally uploaded by Kate Chan.

Sometimes miracles just keep happening.

It’s a miracle to me that the Chicklet is ours. The hoops, hurdles, and tons of love that have surrounded her in her short little lifetime and have brought her safely in to our arms is a story that will be thought about and prayed for every day of our lives.

She. Is. Perfect.

And then one day last October, my husband and I started to talk about how she would be such a great big sister to someone… such a great aunt!.. such a wonderful life companion for anyone lucky enough to have her. And how we knew that being an aunt or a sibling was out of the question.

We’d tried for almost 10 years to have a child. Adoption was *always* part of our plan – not our “solution” to not being able to have biological children. We spoke on our first day about adoption. (I know… not a common first date topic.. but when you know, you know.) At the time, my husband had work for Child Protective Services and I was an inner-city elementary school teacher. We knew the need to adoptive families was there. We weren’t ready to be that family just yet, but we both knew that we would adopt – God willing – someday.

And then in November, I started to feel sick. And it wasn’t typical sick. It was… different.

The night before waking so ill, I had laid in bed and watched my Love and the Chicklet cuddled in to one another and snoring softly together. I could NOT believe how perfect and blessed my life had become. I have a lot of moments like that. (I hope you all do as well.)

The next morning, while my Love was brushing his teeth, I asked. “Hey honey, what if I don’t have the stomach flu…….what if I’m pregnant?”

I thought he was going to choked on his toothpaste. His shocked face mirrored my shocked thought process. I really didn’t know. He didn’t know.

Huh. What if?

And miracles do just keep happening!
I AM pregnant!!!!!!!

The mere words bring tears to my eyes today whereas before they were words that I didn’t think would tumble out of my mouth again.

So sometime in July, our little wish that the Chicklet grow up as someone’s big sister will come true.

And we will soon be a Family of Four.

OH MY!
The miracles of life!

May many happy small – and large – miracles come to you and yours as well!
~Kate

90 comments on “Soon-To-Be
  1. ~M says:

Congratulations! So Exciting!

2. Shannon says:

What a blessing. Congrats!

3. Tara says:

OMG!!!! Congratulations! That is WONDERFUL!!

4. Tricia says:

God truly is amazing! Congratulations! So happy for you and your family.

5. LauraSue says:

I’m a lurking reader, but must come out to say (with tears in my eyes), congratulations. A really, truly more loving family could not be found for the new little one.

6. Stephanie says:

OMG!! Congrats to you and your family! What wonderful news!

7. Kathryn says:

I have visited your site many times for your awesome recipes. I stopped by today to see if you had something new and wonderful to share – well you did! Just not a recipe! Congratulations on your amazing news. What a miracle! =-)

8. amy says:

Beautiful- Beautiful- Joyous news. Congrats.

9. Anna says:

What a blessing!!! I don’t think I’ve ever commented much but I’ve been a faithful reader and I’m so very happy for all of you. Congrats!!!

10. Jan Andrews says:

Congratulations! What a great year this has been for you!

11. Stephie says:

Also a lurker…but congrats! That is so awesome! What great news!

12. Penny says:

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE CHICKLET ON BECOMING A BIG SISTER! OH, AND TO MOM AND DAD, TOO! :) KATE, I’M SO HAPPY FOR Y’ALL!

13. Tahlia says:

That is awesome! What a blessing! I’ll be praying for you and the little one inside of you!

14. Friedl says:

O my god, I’ve got goosebumps from reading this. It’s just so wonderfull ! Good luck with the rest of the pregnancy and life after that !

15. Tweet says:

I’m so happy for you !!!
    And I so know what you’re feeling since my husband and I are trying to have a baby for 4 years ;-) And we still have hope !!

Thanks anyway to share this fabulous news with us (and give hope to some of us !).
    …and a kiss for your sweet lullaby soon-to-be bis sis’ ;-)

16. Heather M. says:

Oh my gosh, Kate!!!! That is such wonderful, happy, exciting news! Congrats! Congrats! Congrats!!!!!!!!

17. Heather says:

Oh, Wow! Thanks for sharing such wonderful news. Congratulations.

18. Dawn says:

Congratulations! I always enjoy visiting your website – such wonderful news to be able to share!! :-)

19. Choupichen says:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! It’s just wonderful!!

20. kimaccio says:

I’m also a lurker (I scope out your yummy GF recipes for my best friend)…congratulations! Your story brought tears to my eyes. All the best!

21. Kate says:

I am beside myself. Holy crap. Congratulations to you!!!

22. Joshua says:

Another lurker reader. Miracles do happen, every day. You and yours are in my prayers.

23. Jenny says:

Oh my goodness!!! This post brought tears to my eyes!!! I’m so happy for your whole family, what wonderful, blessed news!! Congratulations, Mama! :) And what an adorable big sis – I love the outfit!

24. Mikki says:

YAHOO!!! CONGRATS!!! So happy for you!!!

25. Theresa says:

I’m a lurker too, I’ve been following your blog for awhile – your story and your love for your family is so beautiful!
    Congratulations! That is SO exciting! I hope you have a wonderful pregnancy! God bless!

26. Jessica says:

Congratulations on such a wonderful blessing to your family!!!

27. Eleanor says:

I knew it as soon as I read the title of this post!!!!

Congrats! It’s just like the movies.

28. jill says:

Oh my god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!! That’s so so so so so wonderful!

29. Drae says:

OMG!!!!

My kids (I’ve got FOUR; 17, 12, 6, and 2–all with celiac disease along with Dad) wondered why in the world did I let out a shout!
    This is such wonderful news! I am so happy for you. I have followed your blog but this is my first comment.
    Zoe will be a wonderful big sister–you guys have already proven that you are terrific parents.

Three is a magic number and four is FABULOUS!

30. That is so wonderful!! Congrats!!! Wow!

31. Marie says:

I am so happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am overcome with joy!!!!!!!!! XOXOXOXOXOXOXO

32. Cathy says:

Great news! A big sis indeed!

33. Lindsay says:

WOW Kate! I have been following your blog for about 1 year or so. This is truly amazing and I have tears coming down my cheeks. I am also pregnant (only 12 weeks) and it is truly the best blessing. I just couldn’t be happier for you and your family!! I too also thought that it would not be possiblity for me but God clearly had other plans!!! YEAH YEAH YEAH!!! Congrats!!!! This is such a miracle!!!

34. Ina Gawne says:

Congratulations!!! And many blessings to your whole family! Ina

35. Kristina says:

I’m also a lurker, but I’ve been reading around the beginning of your adoption process with the Chicklet. Always love your entries.

I am so very excited for you and your family. How exciting! I’ve heard so many blessed stories where a family adopts a great child into their family and then ends up becoming pregnant, too. The more love the better, I say!

Good luck with everything! Keep us posted!

(And you’re due 1 month before I am. I tried for a few years, and got surprised when I stopped! :))

36. Dale says:

OH OH OH OH OH!!

This is wonderful!!!!! Congratulations to the WHOLE FAMILY!

37. Stephanie says:

What a beautiful way to share something so special.
    Thanks so much!
    My thoughts are with you and your entire family, many happy thoughts!

38. Arleen says:

WOOHOO!! Kate, I am so happy for you and your wonderful family!

39. Holly Varner says:

As a Aunt to a little boy who was never supposed to be I am in tears for you. I know how my sister felt for all those years and I am so excited for you! My sister tried for 16 years to get pregnant and now Liam in almost 10 months old and I’m planning his first birthday with her! I cant tell you how happy I am for you and I know how excited you must be!

40. Esther says:

Congratulations !!
    Isn’t it strange how these things happen.. my fabulous eldest came along when I decided trying to have a child was too hard and I’d just stop worrying about it.. he was the only pregnancy I didn’t feel sick with so I missed it completely till I was past the time I lost all the others!

I have several other friends who conceived after adoption or even being told they would never be able to because of radiation therapy and so on.

41. Donna says:

Kate: Congrats to you and your family. I love your website and this is just so wonderful!

42. Even reading the news again, I get chills being so happy for you three. The chicklet is going to be an amazing big sister, and baby will be so lucky to have you and your hubby for parents. Wishing you as always, much health, happiness and laughter.

43. Sue says:

How very exciting! We have friends that had the same thing happen to them. Adopted a beautiful girl (and her name happens to be Zoe) and then found out they were pregnant. They have 2 beautiful girls and a wonderful family!

Congratulations!! Summer will be here before you know it!!!

44. Martha says:

My deep and heart felt congratulations! Life can be so funny. And joyous!

45. pdw says:

Oh my goodness! Congratulations!

Hubby and I spoke on our wedding night about adopting. We too were blessed with infertility and adopting took about 5 years for us. It has taken me a long time to accept that our family is complete with just the three of us. I still fantasize about getting pregnant after 17 years of infertility. I am so excited for you!

46. Vida says:

Congratulations. I’ve been following your blog for awhile also. Your news brings tears to my eyes – strange – i don’t really know you, but it’s the kind of tears that weddings bring on too. So, tears for you but congratulations too.

47. EmilyJ says:

I am soooooooooo happy for you Kate, just wonderful, amazing news. Congratulations!

48. Varenikje says:

I am so very happy for you. What a wonderful family!

49. Allie says:

Congrats!!!! That is SO wonderful!!!!

50. nicki says:

YAY!!!! Congrats Momma! I’m a reader who’s never piped in, but couldn’t help but say congrats!!

51. Congratulations! God bless you!

52. kazzles says:

That is truly wonderful! I’m so pleased for you. The selfish part of me wants you to keep creating your wonderful recipes and write a book (you have better recipes than a lot of the cookbooks out there) but I’m more pleased that you are pregnant and growing your family. :-)

53. Tasha says:

Congratulations!! I’m so so excited for you and the little Chicklet!

54. Carlisa Rushin says:

That is the most fabulous news. I too love your recipes and miss your more frequent posts from the past, but love that you are growing in new ways and expanding your circle of love and family. May gods blessings always rain down on you and your sweet family.

55. Laurel says:

Wow!!! I’m another lurker who has the habit of turning to your blog when I’m frustrated by cookbooks and failsafe GF methods. I’ve been crying since I first saw this entry. How absolutely wonderful. It couldn’t happen to a nicer person. Your soul shines so brightly it’s no wonder you’ve attracted another angel to your family. Congratulations.

56. Kim says:

I am delurking here- oh my!!!!!!!!! Congratulations to all of you. Miracles happen everyday, don’t they?

57. Sarah says:

Oh! Oh, oh oh oh!!!! Congratulations!!!!! Yay, yay, yay! :D

58. Jacqueline says:

I have followed your recipes and your story about trying to get pregnant and then the adoption process and then the photos of Chicklet and when your sweet dog died and more recipes…

I saw myself in you. Open heart. Creativity. Willingness to explore and see what beauty awaited you even with Celiac.

We are praying to welcome a child into our lives now. However he or she may come.

Thank you for the beautiful news. It gave my heart hope today.

59. Lesley says:

What wonderful news! I wish you a healthy, happy pregnancy and look forward to hearing if Chicklet has a brother or sister. Congratulations all round.

60. shelley says:

CONGRATULATIONS!! May angels attend!

61. Niskka says:

Congratulation, I am sooo HAPPY for You!!!

62. Kristina says:

Congratulations to your whole family- what wonderful news!

63. Jeni Rose says:

I was told at age 20 that I had a 10% chance of conceiving…and later found out I have PCOS. We were heartbroken :( Just as we had come to terms of it just being us and the cats, I became pregnant :) Our miracle was concieved on Halloween and was born on our 5 year wedding anniversary(a week after his due date!) 5.5 years later, I have a beautiful, smart, loving, polite, fun and very spirited little boy who fills my life with such joy that I cant express. Congratulations on your miracles!!!!!!!

64. Julialuli says:

Oh, Kate! I have chills! Relish the pregnancy…blessings to you and your family!

65. zuzupetals says:

I have read your blog for some time now, enjoying the tales of the family you are building though not often commenting. At this, however, I have to express my happiness for all of you. Sending many good thoughts your way.

66. tonya smith says:

I cried tears of such joy at your news. Your sweet daughter will make the best big sister and aunt, just as you have always been the best mom. Continued blessings for you and your growing family.

67. Carol Cripps says:

I cried when I read your post. What wonderful, wonderful news! I hope that you and your Love, and the Chicklet as well, are blessed with a wonderfully healthy, beautiful new family member.

While I hope for even more fantastic recipes (your blog is the first one I go to, *always*, I understand that with another little one, there is more exhaustion, more stuff to do, and infinitely more joy. I understand completely if you have to much on your plate to contribute more recipes, appreciated though they are.

Many , many blessings,

Carol

68. Carol Cripps says:

While I hope for even more fantastic recipes (your blog is the first one I go to, *always*), I understand that with another little one, there is more exhaustion, more stuff to do, and infinitely more joy. I understand completely if you have to much on your plate to contribute more recipes, appreciated though they are.

Many , many blessings,

Carol

69. Kay Guest says:

Hey! You don’t know me either… but I love your recipes and photos. I am very happy for you and your husband and the future BIG SISTER! Best Wishes to you all. Kay Guest

70. Jen B says:

Congratulations!

71. Alice says:

Thanks for sharing your wonderful news. Glad to hear there will be more joy!

72. Jo says:

As a gluten-free girl with a 10 month old baby of my own, CONGRATS!!! You think you’re tired now, wait until the 3 a.m. breast feedings – LOL! Best of luck, and whatever you do, don’t drink the orange stuff for the standard “gestational diabetes” test – it’s full of gluten. :)

73. Debbie says:

Wow – so wonderful. Yes, miracles do happen and I’m so happy the CHicklet will be a big sis! You will have great joy in seeing how they interact with one another.

74. Brenda says:

A tre blessing indeed! Congratulations on your little miracle! Hooray!

75. Congratulations! Such happy news!

76. Cindy P says:

Kate, What a wonderful gift! I hope you are doing well. I am sure the Chicklet will be as good a sister as you are a Mom.
    Cindy

77. Thomas says:

OMG Kate what awesome news! Congratulations!

Thomas

78. angelaskitchen says:

I have always lurked here, but can’t anymore: CONGRATULATIONS! I pray for a blessed pregnancy. As a mommy of three (that I never thought I would ever be blessed with…) I am so excited for you and the upcoming days of your kiddos interactions. It IS an amazing journey we are all on, isn’t it?

79. Jen says:

OH MY GOSH KATE THIS IS SO AMAZING!!!!!! Sorry for yelling but I am SO HAPPY for you!!!!!!!!! How absolutely wonderful!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

80. Angela says:

Praise God! Congratulations on such a happy blessing!

I just went gf and have been enjoying looking through the blog!! Our baby is 6…not sure if we will be able to have more. I am so happy for you!

81. JoAnn says:

Oh Kate, I’m so happy for you all!! Babies are always miracles, but in your case, I know how precious this particular miracle is!

I’m another one of the many “lurkers” around your blog but I had to comment this time…. :)

Congratulations and big ((((((hugs)))))) to you and your entire family!

82. Robin Fort says:

I was just searching for nice gluten free/dairy free etc recipes, and happened on your site – tried the bread wrap (and we all love it!!!)
    Then I read your recent blogs – and I was even a bit teary – how strange and wonderful life can be for those who can see the good bits and pile them up over the hard parts.
    Thank you for the lovely recipes!!!

83. Amie says:

Congratulations Kate! This is indeed a miracle and I am so very thrilled for all of you. What a wonderful gift! Sending you lots of good thoughts.

84. Shirley@gfe says:

Oh, Kate … my heart overflows with happiness for you all!

Many, many hugs of happiness,

85. Kendra says:

Congratulations! Another chicklet!

86. melanie says:

oh what LOVELY news! Congratulations to you and your little family! I’m so excited for you !!!

87. Ann says:

I am crying over reading this! God bless you!!! My MIL had tried for 10 yrs to have a baby and then finally, she did get pregnant and I married that wonderful man. My MIL was truly one of the best, if not the best, mom I’ve ever known. What a blessing to your children that you had to wait so long to get them. I’m adopted and think it’s just fabulous how this all worked out. God bless you all! Perhaps you can adopt just one more later–I wish I’d had an adopted sibling. I do have 3, but they were all born to our parent’s. ☺

88. Jaclyn says:

Congrats!!! She is beautiful!!!! :)

89. Kate says:

Congratulations! After 16 + years of infertility I caught a bug that just would not go away! My dh kept saying, “I think you’re pregnant” and I finally bought a test to prove to him that I just had a bug, remember- infertile woman. I totally collapsed laughing and crying when that test was positive. Our little Xander is now a year and 4 months old and an absolute joy. He’s also being tested for celiacs which is how I ended up on your page today. I am so happy for you and your family!