Welcome to the world, Baby Rory!

Rory!, originally uploaded by Kate Chan.

This is probably the second most difficult post I have ever written. The first announced the arrival of the Chicklet via an open letter to her from her Baba and I. This is difficult only because the wait was hard, the work to bring little Rory forth into life was one that demanded enduring patience, faith and strength. And she is finally here for us to love, hold, and get to know. .

Oh! My eyes fill with tears of joy when I think of both of my girls. I see them now – each napping next to the other. The big sister laying next to the little sister – the Chicklet mimicking the Peanut’s pose in sleep (complete with Big Sister boppy pillow). She so desperately wants to play and share her toys with her new little buddy. Now begins Zoe’s test of patience and endurance as it will be a while before Rory is up to a good round of TinkerToy building, I think.

Success!  She's here!

Success! She’s here!

Rory’s arrival came on Friday, July 16th at 11:29PM…. after 40 hours of hoping via labor that she would arrive, the doctor informed me that she would be coming via c-section. Not exactly what I had hoped, but to be honest, I knew better than to “plan” anything but just go with the flow. After 40 hours, my Love and I were just ready to meet this baby. (And I was *SO* ready to be able to get out of bed! NOT like that happened right away…but I was asking to get out of bed the next morning even before feeling had completely returned to my toes. LOL!) (And for those of you into baby stats, Ms. Rory arrived weighing 6 pounds, 3 ounces; 19 inches.)

We have been lucky to have had family from Chicago (my Love’s parents, sister, 3 nieces (ages 7 and two 1 year old twins), a nephew (age 3), my sister Alice (sister of the heart, for sure!) and her 96 year old mother) and my parents too. Everyone has met, loved, and fallen head-over-heels for the newest member of the family. And of course, we are enamored too.

While she may have a 1:22 chance of having or developing Celiac Sprue in her lifetime, she is completely 1 in a million (or more) for us.

More when I’m awake……. don’t worry – I have some more baking/cooking recipes to come. Even though I’m not up and about yet, I have a few that I made before the babe made her appearance…. so never fear! Good gluten-free food is always here!

Happy Gluten Free Summer Days to ALL!
~Kate & Family

57 comments on “Welcome to the world, Baby Rory!
  1. kelly says:

congratulations! You have a precious baby and that is what counts. blessing (although you just got one! =0) Kelly

2. Gloria Ladley says:

And I just wrote to you today to congratulate you on your pregnancy!! What a beautiful baby!!

3. Rose says:

Congratulations ! What a beautiful baby !
    Enjoy, they grow fast !
    I have a 18 and soon to be 26 year old !

4. Kimberly says:

Congratulations!!! What a beautiful baby!! Soak up every second!

5. Aileen says:

Congratulations! I have been lurking on your blog for a long time now. She’s beautiful. Both your girls are beautiful, in fact!

6. Ina Gawne says:

Awww…Congratulations to all of you! She truly is beautiful…such preciousness in a little bundle. All the best to you and your lovely family, Ina

7. Kimberly says:

What a doll baby!! Congrats to you all!! :)

8. Lisa says:

The photo of her fist raised in celebration – Rory has arrived! – is absolutley precious!

Big Sister Zoe is lucky to have such a wonderful sister to share, laugh, play and cuddle with. Enjoy all the wonderous moments these two girls will bring you and your Love.

9. Congrats Kate! so exciting for you – she is absolutely beautiful. A site to behold. Enjoy every moment with her…they grow so quickly :)

ps – so happy to hear that everyone is safe and healthy

10. Walden says:

Congrats! She looks strong and beautiful!

11. Annie says:

CONGRATULATIONS! How very sweet. She is lovely (and smart and strong, no doubt). May you bask in all the love and awe that surrounds a newborn. Blessings.

12. CONGRATS!! She is just beautiful and I wish I lived close to you so I could take some newborn pictures of her! Consider it my thankyou for all your amazing recipes :)

13. Thomas says:

She is beautiful Kate! Congratulations!

14. Sherri says:

What a beautiful gift of love. Congratulations .

15. Eleanor says:

She’s adorable!!!!!

My godson was born on July 20th and I’m very excited. I’m going to assume that you have been inundated with flowers and teddies so here is me sending virtual gf cupcakes.

I’m also going to assume that the last photo was taken just as she was telling the world to go away, she’s sleeping!

16. Tweet says:

Congratulations !!! Many thoughts for the happy parents et the big sis’ ;-) A little kiss on the cheek for the little princess…

17. melodie says:

what a beautiful baby girl! Congratulations to all!

18. ~M says:

Congratulations, she’s so cute!

19. Elese says:

What a blessing–congratulations! She’s absolutely precious. :)

20. Janine says:

Congratulations! What a gift to have two girls. We have 3 girls(7,5 and 3) and it is a wonder to watch them play together. They are playing school as I type and singing “Love Story” by Taylor Swift. It is nice to know that they will always have a friend in their sisters!
    Rest and recover and thanks for sharing your pictures!

Janine

21. Heather says:

Congratulations Kate!
    Funny I was just thinking yesterday “hmmm I wonder if that godsmacked girl had her baby yet hmmmmm” :)

Enjoy your precious new baby days they fly by so fast (or is it that they blur-by so fast lol)

22. Samantha N. says:

Congrats on Little Rory! What a miracle!

23. cheryl says:

how wonderful. Looking forward to hear more about your darlings.

24. CatieP says:

Congratulations!

25. Penny says:

Congratulations, Kate! She’s beautiful!

26. Theresa says:

She is so beautiful! I hope you have a good and quick recovery :)

27. jill says:

Hooray! You are the best and congratulations! !!!!!!!!

28. Kristina says:

40 hours of labor?! You are a hero! Rory is absolutely beautiful- congratulations to you and your husband, and to Zoe for becoming a big sister! Enjoy every minute!

29. Martha says:

Welcome Rory!
    Congratulations Kate and your entire family. I’m thrilled for you all. Thanks for putting a big smile on my face.

30. Storm says:

Awesome… and a big Congratulations to you all… Rory is a cutie!

31. Tara says:

She is absolutely PRECIOUS! Congratulations!!

32. Kate says:

Congrats! And Rory and I now share a birthday :).

She is beautiful and I am so glad you now have your two lovely girls.

33. Laurel says:

What a beautiful, cuddlesome achievement and worth every second of the wait. Heal quickly and best wishes for a lifetime of health and happiness for you, your nestlings and your Love.

34. JoAnn says:

She is gorgeous! Congratulations….I’m so happy for you and your family!

35. Cindy says:

She is beyond perfect, congratulations!

36. crunchy says:

God bless your beautiful family.

37. Nicole Wang says:

what a beautiful girl! congratulations kate!! savor every minute of her and zoe as the days go by. God bless.

38. Cathy says:

Happy thoughts to you and your family! Enjoy!

39. Oh what a beauty! Congratulations. I came back over to try out your cranberry rice bran muffins. I’ve been hanging onto that one for some time now (teehee- you’ll notice how old it is) but I’m excited to try them again. Your blog is one of the handful of blogs I actually remember past recipes from and come back to when I’m stuck! Meaning gluten free isn’t that new to me anymore so I’m stuck rather than “at a complete loss” more often these days. :) Thank you.

40. Two beautiful, beautiful girls who have loving, kind parents. How fortunate for the Chicklet and her baby sister. Wishing you many long years of love, laughter and good health as a family.

41. Congratulations!!!! She is precious.

42. Kendra says:

Congratulations! Reading this gave me goose bumps. So happy for you!

43. Kathryn says:

Congratulations!

44. What sweet photos! Hope you’re healing quickly and the family is getting as much sleep as possible.

45. Drae says:

OMG–Welcome to the world, baby Rory! You are so blessed, little one–your big sister, your mother, your father…yes, surely your life will be a good one surrounded by such wonderful, selfless people. May the sun shine in your and your families lives for many, many, many days and years to come.

46. Trish says:

Congrats on your beautiful baby! How wonderful for you and your family. :) Hope everyone is feeling well.

47. Jo says:

Congrats! What a beautiful baby. My baby is just 14 months old, and I can’t even remember him being that small, but he was once. FYI – Breastfeeding for the first year cuts baby’s chance of getting celiac (or at least having the gene go active) down considerably. I nursed Henry through thick and through thin and the kid can eat animal crackers and wheat bread without issue at all. Sure you know that already, but it’s a nice fact to pass along!

• Kate says:

Interesting! The report Jo sites also includes this tidbit:

In England, meta-analysis findings show strong evidence that children who were still breastfeeding during the time when gluten was introduced to their diet, had a 52% reduction risk of developing celiac disease. These findings conclude that breastfeeding during the time when gluten is introduced into the diet, can prevent many, if not most cases of symptomatic celiac disease. Additionally, Swedish observations showed that children that were breastfed at the first exposure to gluten, exhibited a lower risk of developing celiac disease than children that were formula fed. The amount of gluten introduced into the diet did not make a difference in these cases. Even if the amount of gluten was high, the risk of developing celiac disease was reduced. Furthermore, the risk was reduced even more if the child continued to breastfeed after gluten introduction. At Chicago University, students did a study that showed that children breastfed at the time gluten was introduced into their diet, were as likely to develop intestinal as extra-intestinal symptoms, and children who were not breastfeeding when gluten was introduced showed a higher chance of showing intestinal symptoms.

-If you want more info, read this: http://www.celiac.com/articles/22092/1/Celiac-Disease-and-Breastfeeding—The-Missing-Link/Page1.html

48. Maxine says:

Congratulations! A beautiful baby! Lovely when children are born into loving homes.

I just came on the site to get your sun-dried tomato bread recipe again…we love that bread. But now while I bake, I’ll think of adorable and adored babies.

Good for you!

And thank you.

49. Kath Phelps says:

Oh my…she is absolutely beautiful.
    Do rest now… and snuggle and sleep and let others pamper you.
    Best,
    Kath Phelps

50. Somehow I got unsubscribed from your blog and missed this wonderful news. Congrats on your beautiful new daughter, Kate! Love her name and your photos. ;-) Just a few more minutes and she would have been born on my birthday. ;-)

Hugsssss,

51. sea says:

Oh Kate,
    Rory is gorrrrgeous! What a scrumptious beautiful baby. Both of your daughters are lovely and I’m so happy for you. I also ended up with a surprise! c-section after 36 hours of labor blah blah blah and they suck. I’m so sorry yours had complications. Oh, but the reward is so great. Congratulations on your beautiful family.

All my best,
    Sea

52. Oh. My. Goodness. What a beautiful baby. Congrats! Remeber to rest when you can and enjoy this time, it goes fast.

53. Sophie says:

Congratulations !!!! A beautiful & pretty baby!

1 Pings/Trackbacks for "Welcome to the world, Baby Rory!"
  1. […] look forward to making it again.  I’d ask Kate for pointers but she is a proud new momma of SUCH a cutie pie (go over and send warm […]