Celebrating a new web home: Best Ever GF Blueberry Muffins

Welcome to the new “home” for GlutenFreeGobsmacked!

I’ve owned this domain for years, but for some crazy reason, I never left wordpress.com.  Well, I bit the bullet now.  It took a bit of a migraine to get everything over here and things may not be exactly the way I want/need them to be, but for now it works.  I’m going with “works”.  There are too many other things in life to worry about (I’m a bit of a worrier) than a website.   That is for sure!

Untitled

I thought my first post here would be a recipe for this delicious Cinnamon & Honey bread that I made this winter a few times.  It’s so good – and makes the best bread for sandwiches.  (And I know I shouldn’t say this as almost everyone toasts their GF bread and wishes for the delectable NON-toasted bread – but wow, I love it toasted with peanut butter too. )  I even have another recipe in waiting:  gluten free pumpkin muffins.

The sad news there?  They are so good, I never get a picture in time! I did make a mini-loaf with the same pumpkin muffin recipe and that one lasted a bit longer (thanks to the fact that I hid one for my lunch!).   The muffin kick around here has made lunch packing super easy for me too.  The mini muffins fit perfectly into their little bento boxes with some fruit and cheese.  And done. :D

My sweet husband brought the girls to the grocery store last night after work.  We haven’t been in more than two weeks (thanks to the flu).  We were literally out of everything but milk.  The fridge is now stuffed to the gills and there is enough fruit and fresh vegetables to kick this influenza to the curb.  He even picked up some fresh blueberries for me and the girls.  But since he also picked up a pack of blueberry muffins from the bakery for the girls, I started craving blueberry muffins.  And then I remembered this super easy recipe I made last summer a bunch of times.

It’s perfect.  Not too sweet (some muffins should just be called cupcakes, in my opinion).  Not too big (again, mini muffins rule the world here). And quick to make (like all muffins should be!)

I do use gluten free oats in this recipe.   I only use certified gluten free oats as the cross-contact concerns are real.  Please feel free to substitute the oat flour in this recipe for brown rice flour and rice bran (50/50).

To make the oat flour, I just put a cup of oats into my food processor and whirled away until ground up nicely.  To make the oats less “bumpy” as my girls say, i soak them a bit before adding them to the mix.  Adding them directly makes for some chewier spots in the muffins which is a bit of a distraction for the Littles in the house, just a head’s up.

Happy gluten free muffins to you and yours -
Enjoy!
Kate

PS.  I had some issues with my recipe plugin for WordPress.  Please click on this image to get to a PDF/Google Doc of the recipe.  Sorry for the inconvenience! GFBlueberryMuffins

18 comments on “Celebrating a new web home: Best Ever GF Blueberry Muffins
  1. Great sounding recipe indeed! I always use carbonated lemonade in my scone recipe for extra lift too :)

2. varenikje says:

I love blueberry muffins. I will give this a try! Great new venue, by the way. If I may be so bold as to ask, why switch from WordPress?

3. Kkelly says:

How about an egg substitute?

• varenikje says:

Okie, I tried this recipe, sort of. I didn’t use 7-up or lemon mineral, but rather a mango soda (it was what I had) and I used about twice the blueberries that were required, because that was the size of frozen blueberries that I had. The dough came out fine, except there are a lot of blueberries in the batter. I used vanilla extract rather than lemon extract because that is what I had. And I skipped the demera sugar because I forgot it (although I do have some). And the muffins are fairly good. Lots of blueberries (next time I will use half of the bag of frozen blueberries), but the texture and flavor of the muffins was good. I didn’t use paper bake cups, and next time I think I will. I am having a hard time getting the muffins out of the tin. Great recipe, though. Thank you!

4. Alicia says:

Thanks for offering a substitute for oats, though I’m not sure where to find rice bran locally. I’ve read too many concerns for Celiacs regarding oats to take chances with my son’s health. There’s no fancy sugar options in our tiny town so I’ll have to see what I can come up with for the sugar topping. I’m looking forward to trying these once I can sort all that out. :)

• cheekychica says:

Thank you for taking the time to comment. As far as the rice bran goes (or GF oats), I really add it to boost the fiber. GF baked goods are notoriously low in fiber and high in starches. One of my little ones really needs her fiber as she is not a big fruit eater like her sister (who could eat 2lbs of strawberries a day if we had the money. LOL). Using while grain flours will help. You might need to watch the liquid levels too as the oats or bran will absorb more. But flours also absorb more do maybe try some almond flour??

As far as the sugar topping goes, simple cinnamon sugar (2 Tablespoons sugar + 1 teaspoon cinnamon) is delicious as well.

Hope this helps

Kate

5. idebenone says:

My kids are sugar addicts so I’m looking for a healthy muffin recipe that’ll entice them (without so much sugar). They love carrot spice and pumpkin spice muffins (non-GF). One of my old recipes involved soaking grated carrots in sugar and orange juice and then adding tons of spices. Really yummy but with gluten and a lot of sugar. I’d love to incorporate the nut flours so they get a little bit of nutrition. They don’t like raisins/nuts/dried fruit in their muffins. I saw the blog’s basic muffin recipe (and this one, obviously) but I’m not an accomplished baker so I need a specific recipe. We’re moving into GF so… any ideas about how to incorporate these wet ingredients into a sweet, healthy muffin that they’ll gobble up? My previous attempts went uneaten (sadly, the mold got to them before the kids did). Help! Thanks so much.

6. Anna says:

Sounds delicious! The link to Gluten Free Flour Mix is broken. What is in the mix, please?

7. varenikje says:

By the way, I froze these muffins so I have been eating the frozen muffins for some time now. They are still very good! Thanks again for the recipe!

• cheekychica says:

Oh so good to know that they freeze well. Thank you for always helping with your comments and info about recipes, etc, as well. :). Together we can all make this diet work.

8. Jennifer says:

I’m new to gluten free eating – started in Jan after being diagnosed with a wheat allergy. I’ve kept things simple and have only used Pamala’s mixes so far. Pre wheat free I was an avid baker/cook and I am ready to start playing around with my own recipes and making my own flour mix.

There are so many different recipe blends online and in books. From everything I’ve read I think I want to stick with rice/potato/tapioca/cornstarch type blends (I don’t care anything about fiber or GI index). I have a question about corn starch though. Does it give foods a corn taste? I’m super picky about wanting sweets to taste like sweets and savory to taste savory. I know I wouldn’t like a sweet muffing to taste like corn.

9. Kathy Peterson says:

Just thought I’d leave the comment that I have made this recipe a couple of times now and even with the right ingredients and they are great! I love blueberry muffins!

10. trudy says:

so where is the recipe for the awesome blueberry muffins in the photo?

1 Pings/Trackbacks for "Celebrating a new web home: Best Ever GF Blueberry Muffins"
  1. [...] Gluten Free Gobsmacked shared Blueberry Muffins [...]